In this talk I will review the following topics to describe what, to me, are the key periods in the creation, development, current status, and possible future directions of flexible sensors and electronics.
- Context for Flex Electronics & Sensors: The electronics industry in the 80s and 90s and organic electronics.
- Early Motivations: What were some of the applications envisioned?
- When/Where Does Printing Fit In: Could it provide a possible paradigm shift in fabrication technology?
- Early Challenges & Limitations: What bottlenecks limited the successful implementation?
- Early Successes: Setbacks, yes. But technical and commercial successes too!
- Current Status: Progress being made, but challenges remain.
- Opportunities and Future Directions: Changing electronics landscape suggests?